I didn’t have any expectations of it.
If this blade could sing it would probably sing “Don’t Make Me Feel Misunderstood….” (Carlos Santana.)
In fact I had watched various reviews and no reviewer was enthusiastic about it. So in the end I debated whether I should purchase any or not. But curiosity got the better of me.
I have 100+ razors, as you might imagine, being in the wet shaving business I do try out lots of razors and blades. To date some of the blades that I have tried are:
- Shark SS
- Shark SP
- Baili Blue
- Baili Green
- Dorco ST-300
- Dorco ST-301
- Dorco Prime ST-302
- Gillette Silver Blue
- Gillette 7 o’ clock (green)
- Gillette 7 o’clock (black)
- Gillette Platinum
- Astra SP
- Astra Stainless
- Wilkinson Sword
- Gillette Wilk1nson Sword (India)
- Big Ben
- Derby Extra
- Derby Premium
- Topaz (big mistake….)
- Super Max Platinum
- Max (Chinese)
- Ming Shi (Chinese)
- Ying Jili
- Lord Stainless
- etc. (they make the best blades of all!)
That is a ton of blades. That is at least 30! That’s 3,000 blade / razor combinations.
I was never fully satisfied with any. But I finally found the best blade for me. Ready? The winner is……
LORD Platinum Class…
After a really great couple of shaves, I decided that we should do a full review. Was I crazy? Were the Lord Platinum Class blades as good as I thought?
We have a really cool new way to test blades. So I had my posse of testers ready to torture the blades and test their mettle. (Pun Intended.)
Disclaimer: Men have found more ways to shave than you can shake a stick at. The safety razor, and the myriad of blades that go with it, have stood the test of time. But with an infinite variety of head types, razor blade types, skin types and beard types, your mileage may vary from the opinions expressed here. Your opinion is also important. Have a comment?? Leave a comment.
How we test blades.
We use a Merkur 33C as our baseline. Three of us test the same blade and razor combination for 5 days to start. The same blade is used for all 5 days. Then we change razors to a razor of each member of the testing panel’s choosing. Again we change blades every 4 – 5 shaves. Then the razor is changed again. Each complete test runs 15 days. We then compile the results as printed below. All three of us have different beard types. Mine is a quick growing wiry beard and very sensitive skin. Mark – Shaves every second day. Fair beard. Normal skin. George – A daily shaver like me. George also has a fast growing curly beard.
Why do I love these blades:
Note: Lord makes two different blades that have similar names. LORD PLATINUM and LORD PLATINUM CLASS. They are not the same.
What did I like?
- Very smooth to shave with
- Sharp but not too sharp
- Inexpensive $.12 to $.20 (depending where you get them.)
- Really nicely packaged. Cool wrapping.
- Easy to find on Amazon and eBay
What did I not Didn’t like?
- The blade could be a bit sharper.
- The blade should be marked to distinguish between sides so that if you turn it over, you know what side you are on.
My quote: “I have finally found a blade that works well in 3 very different test razors. The Merkur 33C. The Parker 96r. Muhle R41.”
What did Mark like?
- The blade lifespan. In fact Mark could easily get 7 – 8 shaves out of 1 blade.
- The price.
- The smoothness.
What Mark did Mark not like?
- Mark claims to have found 1 dud blade. George and I never did.
- He didn’t think that the blade was as sharp as the Dorco ST-302 that he usually shaves with.
Razors used: Merkur 33C, Gillette New, Parker Variant set on 4.
Mark’s Quote: “Very good blade that is also extremely forgiving. Lasts for 7 – 8 shaves.”
What did George like?
- The price. The blade costs between $0.12 and $0.15.
- The sharpness. George found the blades to be quite sharp giving him a DFS after only two passes.
- The smooth shave that these blades provide.
What did George Not like?
- This has become George’s “go to” blade.
- The plastic blade packaging did not have place to dispose of used blades.
Razors Used: Merkur 33C, Merkur Progress, Gillette Fat Boy
George’s quote: “I really had a great experience with these blades. They are sharp and smooth. I love ’em!
Please Note: Lord makes two different blades with similar names. Lord Platinum and Lord Platinum Class (reviewed here.)
Summary and Conclusions:
The Lord Platinum Class blades come singly wrapped in a plastic box that does not have an area to dispose of used blades. The wrapping paper is colorful and strong.
Shaves most like: Derby Premium except sharper, Shark SS except smoother.
(Each category is rated on a scale of 1 (the poorest result) to 10 (the best result.)
|Total Score||30.33 / 40||Above average.||Recommended.|